Saturday, March 2, 2013

March 2nd Update

So here we are at the beginning of March and now it feels like it should in February. But that is not stopping the garden from growing. The nice thing about the cold air is that the bugs aren't so active. I did have an infestation of caterpillars on my tomatoes but the Monterey insect spray took care of them.

Our first stop will be the bed where the Redbor Kale was growing. I harvested the rest of the leaves and then prepped the bed with some more mushroom compost, azomite, greensand, Dr Earth Tomato Vegetable and Herb fertilizer, and also a little vermiculite and peat moss.

I planted a couple Green Bell Pepper plants along with some Pink Beauty Radishes. The radishes are supposed to be a mild tasting variety.






Next we have the Red Pontiac potatoes which are doing spectacular. Quite a change from the Colorado Rose potatoes I tried last year which were a disaster.




I harvested all the mature Packman Broccoli heads from the next bed and planted some carrot seeds and bush beans. One half of the bed has the next crop of Packman Broccoli still growing along with 2 Redbor Kale plants left over from an earlier planting.



Next I have some Red Butterhead lettuce which was left over from some transplants so I planted them in a pot that has a flower growing. Everything doesn't have to grow in a bed and these are looking good.



Next we have the Celebrity Tomatoes I had purchased that had two plants in each pot. As you may recall I separated them into individual pots and then when they got larger transplanted them in the bed they occupy now. That is a good way to bring the cost per plant down and save you some money, They are full of tomatoes and one is even beginning to get ripe.







Here is the next crop of Celebrity Tomatoes which I started from seed. I transplanted them today next to the cauliflower. I still have several extra seedlings in pots in case any of these don't make it. The cages are 20" sized Texas Tomato Cages. They come in two sections that fit together.


Next I have some peppers I never tried before. These are called Flexum Hybrid Peppers. They are supposed to be really sweet but none are fully ripe yet to try out. When fully ripe they turn red.





Here we have the Graffiti Cauliflower which is purple. The plants are growing but have not begun to develop heads yet.






 Here is a shot of the Pak Choi and the Brussels Sprouts. We have eaten several of the Pak Choi in stir fry but it appears the Brussels Sprouts take a bit longer. They are beginning to develop sprouts along the stalk though so hopefully not too much longer before we can try them out.




Here we have the Mr Big Peas and garlic growing. It shouldn't be too long now before I need to put up the pea trellises.




Next we have the Yellow Grannex Onions which I am really pleased with.These were so simple to start from seed and I will be growing them every year if I can. They are really good and sweet.




Here are the Banana Peppers which I started from seed and they were doing terrible. They are full of peppers now and some are getting ripe.



Pineapple take a while to mature but they are interesting to watch. This one is beginning to flower now.



Next we have some carrots which are ready and sticking out of the ground. We have eaten several but these are not my favorite. Most are really short and fat which I don't particularly care for.



Here is the next crop of lettuce which is the Red Butterhead variety. 



My Marketmore Cucumbers.are now large enough to begin training up a trellis so I set it up today.



In the same bed at the opposite end are the Blackbeauty Eggplant which were growing together in a single pot. Like the tomatoes I separated and re potted them  before transplanting them out here. 



They were beginning to get some aphids on them and then the Lady Bugs arrived.


 Here are a couple in different stages of development. On the bottom middle leaf  there is a larvae and the real orange looking one is molting. You can click on the pictures to make them larger.


One of the plants is beginning to bloom.



Here is the red cabbage and more broccoli transplanted not too long ago.


Now a couple shots of my Florida Prince Peach with peaches on it.




My Tribute Strawberries are supposed to arrive today so this past week I finished preparing the strawberry towers. Once the crowns are planted I then will soon finish the drip system for the pots and then build a frame to put shade cloth over them. I think the summer sun will be too harsh on them and also I am sure the birds will want to eat fresh ripe berries so bird netting will also be deployed when needed.



Lastly we have the zucchini and spaghetti squash growing. The zucchini is on the right and the spaghetti is on the left. They look almost the same but soon the spaghetti should begin to vine out so I will need to put up the trellises for them.



Here is a shot across the back yard.



That's all for today.




 






4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you finally got some peaches 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see them, too. The Florida Prince Peach needs only 150 chill hours which is probably why it is producing and my Florida King Peach didn't last year. The King Peach needs around 300 which we usually get but last winter we got no where near that.

    This year the King Peach actually went dormant and is now just beginning to bud out but I don't see hardly any flowers on it. Then again this winter was very warm though not as bad as last year. We are actually having several days now where the temps are getting into the low to mid forties so maybe the King Peach will do something. My first crop from it was pretty impressive but none since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy, Tim. Awesome garden.
    When do you start Granex onions from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started the onion seeds on 9-13 of last year. I sprinkled about 30 or so seeds in a small pot and let them get to about 6 inches tall then separated them and planted about 6 inches apart.

    They were surprisingly easy to separate. I thought for sure there would be a tangled mess of roots but that wasn't the case.Each plant had a very tiny bulb on the end with long straight roots and in a bucket of water they pretty much fell apart. Give it a shot next Fall.

    ReplyDelete