Saturday, October 20, 2012

10-20 update

Just wanted to post some pics I took this morning before I get back to work preparing more beds.

first here is a pumpkin vine with a couple pumpkins growing :





Next we have the Red kale. Two of the plants have died. This is why I always grow a few extras so I will transplant two of them into this bed this evening.
 


Next a shot across the back garden area. A volunteer watermelon vine popped up so I figured I would let it grow and see what we get. These are the last two beds I plan on redoing and it won't be for a while so maybe we'll get a melon or two.



Here are some seedlings that I plan on transplanting later today. I have Pac Choi, a couple varieties of lettuce, some Fordhook Giant swiss chard, and some Grannex sweet onions to transplant. There are also some pepper starts but they need to get larger first.



Here is my broccoli and cabbage bed. I thinned them out this morning.




Next are the cucumbers which had done just fantastic this year so far.. The first pic shows four pepper plants in the front.
 








Now onto the squash. The last couple times I tried zucchini they failed miserably. So far these squash are producing well and the plants are very healthy.




Any day now I will be picking some beans. Here are the Royalty Purple beans.





And the Derby bush beans.




Finally a few squash and cucumbers picked yesterday and this morning.


And now back to work for me. The weather is excellent as a cool front blew through this morning.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog, it's nice to see Florida gardening at its best.
    Tell me, how does your squash evade the pesky little green cutworms? EVERY time I have tried growing squab plants those little buggers get the best of my plants and my patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for the comment!! Every year I do lose a few plants to cut worms. One strategy is to grow extra plants to replace the few that are lost. Once a plant is attacked I dig around in the soil and sure enough find the cutworm that committed the crime. Dispose of it and replant a replacement.

    Also I have found that Monterey Garden Insect Spray works wonders for any type of caterpillar beastie in my garden.

    Of course it is OMRI listed as I use organic methods about 99+% of the time. It also has a much longer residual effect than Bt which pretty much is only potent for a day.

    Another solution may be to try parasitic nematodes. I had a real problem with grubs last year and decided to give them a try. They will eliminate virtually any soil dwelling pest and they did a superb job in my garden. I have only seen two cutworms so far this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, love your pumpkins. This is my dream (some day) to grow them. What variety are they?

    I am too having a great season for cucumbers. Glad you are having such awesome success.

    About the squash - maybe it's not a cutworm, but a bore worm. I usually just wrap the stems with aluminum foil - as close to the soil as you can do it, and that takes care of that, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The variety of pumpkins is Howden. I've grown pumpkins before and had some around 75 pounds which made a lot of pie.

    As far as the cucumbers this has been a real good year for me. The Asian cukes are really tasty.

    The foil idea sounds like a really good idea. I'll have to try it next time I plant squash.

    ReplyDelete